Thursday, January 11, 2018

2018 ~ Happy New Year!!!!

This year I’m hitting the ground running and not thinking about it too much. 
Last week, I read an article by Amy Johnson Crowe called  ‘52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks’
The title caught my attention and as I thought more about it I realized that means a commitment to writing every week. 

Last year, I committed to write in my blog once a month. After about 4 years of hit or miss, I felt I needed to challenge myself to a deadline, of sorts. As a result, I am encouraged to say that I accomplished that challenge as I completed a post each month ending with my last post for 2017, in December. 
Although, committing to write about an ancestor every week sounded a bit daunting at first, I quickly decided to get on board. I figure, even if I cannot do all 52 weeks due to dodging curve-balls throughout the year, I will still be ahead of where I am now.  A win, win, I think. 

I signed up for the weekly prompts as suggested in the article. I believe it will help keep me on track, as well as serve as a weekly reminder. 

Since the first week is ‘Start’, I decided to begin with my dad this week, and my mom next week. Then, I will work up my family tree for the following weeks down the road.  For more details, see Amy Johnson Crowe's article.   

One thing that resonated with me, is that there is flexibility on how you go about it.  You can write on whatever platform you like, such as a blog,  social media, or in the form of a letter to someone.  
My take away, is that the important thing is that you write, and not focus so much on the logistics that can keep us from moving forward. That has been my particular obstacle in the past. 

I plan to make most of my entries here, on my blog, so that I can keep them in one place. I can also use the tag feature for future searches, should I need to refer back, or possibly update information. I may post a link to each post on Facebook and Twitter, as she suggests, as well as adding hashtags to make it searchable.  

I do know that there will be some weeks that I may miss. But I will have to be OK with that, realizing that in the long run I am am still moving forward and making progress.  I think it is important to focus on flexibility, so it can work with our busy lives and schedules.


This is the first month of a brand new sparkly year, and along with it brings new goals, new  projects, assessing current projects, and re-organizing methodology. This often includes patterns of research, re-organizing paper files, digital files... basically, a new beginning in some ways, and completing unfinished projects, in others. 

Either way, we are moving along the road to discovery, connections, and adding more information to some of those stubborn, long-term brick walls. Perhaps, more importantly, making written progress in our own efforts of leaving our generational legacy with our footsteps.  

May your 2018, be happy, enlightening and memorable. 




No comments:

Post a Comment